Have you ever felt that you reach a point and you have no idea of what to do now?
Often this question is asking you to consider one of 2 things:
- Am I living to my purpose?
- Do I need to redefine/review my constraints and choices?
When we problem solve, we need to know 5 things.
- Where we want to go? Move To
- Where we are now? Move Form
- What are the choices/optional activities to reach our objective? Paths
- What are the constraints on those choices including who else do we need to involve. Constraints
- Actions to move from where we are to where we want to be.
The greatest challenge is often to be clear on where we want to go?
Most of us know we don’t want to be where we are but…we are often afraid to envision where we want to be or worse we look at what we have and are afraid of losing it.
Many years ago, Peter and I packed up a wonderful life in Canada for a new adventure. We moved half way around the world with 40 boxes and 8 suitcases and 2 children under 12. We knew we wanted a different life. Peter always intended to move to New Zealand when he left Glasgow. So I knew we were coming to New Zealand when we married. The when was dependent on many variables.
Since coming to New Zealand, we have explored many different living conditions and styles. We have renovated old villas, built homes similar to what we lived in when we were in Canada. We have lived in apartments, flats, and different types of houses. (Yes we are a bit nomadic).
We have started companies, trained entrepreneurs, managed companies, gone back to university, run projects, worked on boards, mentored hundreds of people and so many more adventures.
In all our adventures, we wanted to meet both our purposes.
- Peter’s to learn as much as possible not from formal education but through experience and book (internet) learning.
- Mine was to help people and Peter supported me in this allowing me to help thousands of people learn and manage businesses and create new careers for themselves.
So when we ask “what next” we always revisit our purpose and look at what we can do next to meet that purpose.
And so the journey continues.
What next for you? Please share?
Live your Purpose