When you look at the definition of transparent, it means you can see through it. But seeing through something may not mean you actually see what is happening.
If you take a look on social media you find many stories where the organisation claimed to be transparent but in actual fact the people who were looking at the entity were unable to see what was really going on.
- Obama contended—not very persuasively—that “this is the most transparent administration in history.” Why Barack Obama and Joe Biden Are Gambling on Social Media Howard Kurtz February 20, 2013
- So why is the most transparent administration ever shutting down a cheapand popular service? No DNA Testing For You, Thanks to the FDA Nick Gillespie November 25, 2013
- So much for the Obama team’s pledge to be transparent, forthright and accountable for their actions. The Assassination of Greg Craig Steve Clemons November 15, 2009
In technology many systems are
not visible, hidden; they function in a manner not evident to the user. For example, the Domain Name System transparently resolves a fully qualified domain name into an IP address without the user being aware of it.
Given the nature of transparency therefore does that mean you can actually see what is happening or is it like so many things..if I have to tell you I am honest, integrous or transparent does that mean that my actions make you think otherwise.
Leaders, politicians even family and friends want us to think of them in a particular way. They object when we find their actions and their words conflict and make us feel uncertain.
The conflict usually is the result of mismatching and misunderstanding the Archetypes involved. You may have been taught that communication is tone and posture are more important than the words but in our experience the words have impact, if not immediately than when reflection occurs.
And miscommunication can occur when you think we have shown all our cards, explained everything, been transparent, but have not been understood by the other party. Every day people are so busy that they often do not take the time to understand others or actually deal and question what others say to them. It causes stress. It leads to confusion. And unfortunately it can lead to health problems. I remember several years ago when my boss and I had major communication problems and I became crippled and unable to talk. It lasted until one day after I quit the company.
Similar things happen with many of our clients, especially when they have made a clear decision and suddenly someone challenges them on their decision. They then start judging, questioning and feeling uncertain. And when that doubt occurs, they become virtually stuck. The success thieves have stolen their ability to take action.
- If transparency really means that you see what is happening or just that you see the outcome someone else wants you to.
- Words have power and we respond to words based on both the situation and the Archetypes involved.
- Our success depends on how we respond to the communications that happen around and with us.
Words do have power. Use them wisely and ask for help when you feel a conflict.
Never doubt yourself.
Mentoring is a great way to build your confidence in what you see and your gut senses. Contact me if I can help you
To your success