And what does an open mind or a closed mind look like and why does it matter? What is this concept called mindfulness and how does that relate to open or closed minds?
An Open Mind
What is an open mind? Is it a mind that will look at all possibilities or is it a mind that will consider different opinions and is willing to change if something fits the person’s purpose better.
A Closed Mind
Is a closed mind one that receives no additional information and the person is so focused on their own purpose that there is no room for any alternative considerations?
Could mindfulness really mean that the mind is so full that it has no ability to receive new information?
What is the state of mind that really matters?
- A mind that is aware – aware of what is happening internally and externally.
- A mind that acknowledges other people and their similarities and their differences.
- A mind that accepts other ideas, people, opinions and thoughts. Acceptance does not mean agreement, it simply means that there is a different way of thinking but the question is how does that different way fit the purpose of the person being aware of that difference?
- A mind that appreciates that there are other opinions and ideas. A mind that realises learning and development truly happens when difference occurs and the person can grow.
- A mind that listens, responds and takes action that corresponds to the purpose of the person taking the action.
The saddest occurrence today is people who feel hopeless because they are unable to live their purpose and feel that they have no control of what will happen to them.
Your mind is a resource. It helps you make decisions. It helps you be aware of your needs. It helps you respond to the needs of others especially those you love, work with and care about.
Your mind needs to be fed. Fed new ideas, new thoughts and new challenges.
A mind that is never challenged stagnates and that seems to lead to some very dire conditions.
My belief: to be healthy and feel alive and useful, you need to keep your mind active and aware. You need to consider all information but not get hung up on it. You need to live your purpose.
Purposeful Living gives you control when everything else seems beyond your control. Purposeful living weighs up possibilities and makes choices based on essential needs.
So keep your mind slightly open but close it when you see that what is being offered takes you off purpose. Be aware, mindful, of what is happening but please refuse to constantly accept that other’s know what is best for you.
Stand tall and proud.
You are the perfect you. Never let anyone steal that from you.
Live, love and laugh often