Do you love basics? Knowing the rules? Doing what is acceptable/expected? Then you probably have some ABCs that you do in your life and business. The basics!
The Purposeful Living Paradigm is a methodology we have been living for most of our married lives (a span of 48 years shortly). Peter started living that way as a child, he has always lived to his purpose.
What is Peter’s purpose – to learn and understand as much as possible. He loves to synthesize new thoughts, new ways of looking at the world. He asks different and often difficult questions. He studies what people do and say and then asks them why and would they do things differently, if they could? His analytical ability astounds me. He is not a fan of formal education as he loves the research, the seeking out of patterns and behaviours. He listens. He prothletises. He challenges. He assumes very little. And he takes very little personally – your opinion is yours and he allows you to keep it.
My purpose is to help as many people as possible to live their purpose. As a business mentor this is often hard as I want to tell people what they should do if they really want the results they say they do. I tend to believe people and take them at face value. Sometimes this works really well but often people tell me only what they think I want to hear and that means we have a confused base to start applying the ABC’s of the Purposeful Living Paradigm.
Before I explain the ABCs, we need to understand the word paradigm and one of the quirks of human nature.
According to dictionary definitions: A paradigm is
A quirk – most people when they shift paradigms cannot remember ever having believed or thought differently. It takes awareness and discipline to recall old paradigms and when we shift our paradigms we generally believe we are moving to something better so why would we want to recall the previous paradigm. Shifting is because either the old paradigm did not work or we saw the light of the new paradigm. And yes I want you to shift but shift so that choose and remember.
That is importance of the A in the ABCs.
The ABC’s of Purposeful Living Paradigm
A: AWARENESS/ ACTION
- Are you aware of your thoughts and actions?
- Are you aware of what is happening around you without getting distracted from your activities?
- Are you taking action and doing something that moves you towards meeting your needs and the needs of those around you.
- Are you acting in a manner consistent with your purpose?
- Are you acting according to your values?
- Actions matter but it is your behaviour that tells more. Using the Behavioural Archetypes, we often learn that we act in a way that is more reactive than natural.
- Behaviour is how we live our values and our manifesto.
- What you believe in keeps you on course to live your purpose.
- Concepts are the ideas and beliefs that we hold and we need to always live and act in a manner consistent with those beliefs. Unless we live purposefully according to our beliefs we can feel guilty.
- Guilt and remorse are different. Remorse occurs when you inadvertently hurt someone. Guilt is when you hurt someone intentionally. Either way, apologise and forgive and move on. This is not easy but can be done without regret or concern.
- What are you committed to? Passion and purpose fit with our commitments and our commitments are what we promise ourselves and others. Are you committed to live your values and purpose. Commitment overcomes obstacles and keeps you focused on what matters to you.
Are you using the ABC’s to live a purposeful life? Need help with these aspects? Just ask? You can learn and participate in the Paradigm by joining the Paradigm’s Facebook Page
May you always live in the Purposeful Paradigm